The securelist blog has reported that they have found a fake website pretending to be VirusTotal, the popular open-to-the-public malware submission and multi-engine analysis site.
Such botnets are used to perform DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks and to deliver spam messages.
To avoid infection, consider the following as the minimum you should be doing to protect you and you valuable data:
- Always have the latest security patches applied to your computer
- Have an update-to-date antivirus installed on your computer
- Have an up-to-date anti-spyware installed on your computer
- Use a cutting edge anti-spam solution
- Do not trust links in spam, nor links sent to you when you don’t know the recipient well
- Even if you do trust a recipient, treat all links as suspicious
- Don’t allow downloads to auto-run. Turn off auto-download in your browser
Following the above simple steps will allow you to have a safe online experience, not marred by constant infection by malware.