In a sign of how good scammers are getting at using social engineering, the FBI-backed Crime Complaint Center (IC3) have issued a warning about the rise in Automated Clearing House fraud which is being aimed at businesses across the US.
Emails, purporting to be from job applicants, are being sent to unsuspecting businesses, that contain malware connected to the Zeus/Zbot trojan. So far $150,000 has been stolen, but this figure is from reported infections, the likely number of unreported infections is much higher, and worse, users may still not realise they have been infected.
Care should always be taken when opening emails from unknown / untrusted sources.
IC3 recommends the following:
- Beware of opening any attachment, even from trusted sources.
- Always run an anti-malware scan on attachments.
- Try to use separate systems for your financial transactions (compared to those used for email and internet surfing).
Additionally, SPAMfighter recommends:
- Always have an up-to-date antivirus and anti-spyware applications running.
- If you haven’t had protection, get some NOW.
If you think you’ve already been infected, then you can find disinfection information here.
a WordPress rating system
We think you'd also like: